Al Shaqab takes extra measures to protect staff and horses during Covid-19
- Publication Date:
- 20/05/20 12:00 AM
The precautionary measures devised by Al Shaqab’s Facilities & Support Services Department take into account the national health guidelines on combating the pandemic, but more importantly include additional steps aimed at stemming the spread of COVID-19 among its employees. The safety reminders, which were issued and explained during online workshops, were motivated by concern for the wellbeing of team members and a commitment to keeping Al Shaqab, member of Qatar Foundation (QF), virus free.
Based at Education City in Doha, Al Shaqab is officially closed to the public at present. In line with government regulations, Al Shaqab has suspended all community-based activities - including events, competitions and tours of its facilities. Departments are mainly working from home, with minimal onsite staff, and using Al Shaqab’s website and social media platforms to stay in touch with loyal fans and followers on a daily basis.
Al Shaqab’s three core departments – Breeding & Show; Equine Education; and Endurance – have implemented a plan to meet the daily requirements of the center’s magnificent occupants during the lockdown period. This includes food supply, cleaning, and exercise.
Meanwhile, the following measures have been taken to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all staff housed in Al Shaqab accommodations, over and above the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Public Health:
- . Awareness sessions, including the circulation of videos in different languages to help staff understand the safety steps they need to follow
- Revised shifts and work times, which have helped with the allocation of additional accommodation spaces per shift and team
- Meal delivery to onsite staff without any disruption
- All gates, except Gate 9, closed for entry and exit
- Restrictions on staff movement beyond work hours, with outings strictly prohibited, except in exceptional or unavoidable circumstances. In such cases, prior approvals should be obtained
- In addition to existing sanitization facilities, individual Personal Protective Equipment kits have been distributed to all staff members, including gloves, masks, and sanitizers
- Temperature monitoring is carried out regularly. In the event of any suspected COVID-19cases, QF procedures to be followed immediately, and a reserved space for quarantine arranged if needed; and
- Daily monitoring to ensure the application of the stipulated guidelines.
During the online workshops held to brief management on the protective measures, it was emphasized that all teams and departments would need to work together to ensure maximum hygiene and safety at Al Shaqab to help combat the spread of COVID-19in Qatar.Back to News listing